Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

From a Professional Athlete to Professional Coach

I am lucky enough to have a good friend who is dating one of the worlds best female golfers Bettina Hauert. Bettina started her professional career in 2003 winning the Ladies European Tour qualifying school, and in 2004 become the first female golf professional to take a place alongside the men on the Playing Pro Team of the PGA of Germany. 

So Bettina happens to be in the U.S for the Thanksgiving holiday and I met up with her to get some tips about how she stays in shape and prepares for her tournaments.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
My goal is to always be healthy and fit so if I always feel in shape when I do a workout. I don't want to ever not workout for one week and go back to my regimine and feel tired and sore. I like to keep a record of a minimum workout level that I must maintain every time I workout and then increase it each time sometimes working out harder if I have enough time between tournaments. 



 Even though being on the golf course conists mostly of walking, do you include a lot of cardio or running in your workouts?
Yes. Cardio is very important because I must maintain a strong core in order to have good posture and stamina to do an entire golf course. People sometimes dont realise how much walking it is and it takes good endurance to stay in shape for an entire tournament while walking all those miles.




 What is your diet like? 
I am not the type of person that is a crazy carb counter but when I have a big tournament coming up I am very strict with what I put in my body. I like to eat 4 to 5 times a day to keep my metabolism going, which also keeps your energy up. I usually start my breakfast with a bowl of fruits such as blueberries or a banana with oatmeal. Then I will have a small snack before lunch that might consist of yogurt and a sliced apple. I usually have something like a salad for lunch with spinach, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing. For dinner I enjoy a grilled chicken wrap with a multigrain pita, lettuce tomato onions, green peppers, and oil and vinegar. I try to add variety to my diet so I never get bored that is very important.




What was the best advice you were ever given?
If you have a dream or a goal you are trying to achieve, you need to identify what you need to do to successfully reach it and do whatever it takes. I wanted to become the best female golfer in Europe and I knew it would be difficult but I wanted it so bad. I trained hard and always kept a winning mindset until I reached my goal. 

Since 2010 Bettina was not been competing in any major tournaments but is transitioning into being a professional coach.
If you have a dream or a goal to get fit, push yourself until you reach it.

Keep Sweating It!
Tina

1 comment: